3M provides static control packaging to protect electronic items from electrostatic, physical and environmental damage during manufacturing, transportation and storage. 3M packaging can help you build a compliant ANSI/ESD S20.20 static control program. S20.20 now refers to ANSI/ESD S541 to set the performance goals for anti static packaging.
1. Low charge generation
2. Dissipative or conductive materials for intimate contact
3. A structure that provides electrostatic discharge shielding and anti static property
Following the Road Map to More Packaging Protection
The 2005 ESD Association Technology Road Map shows that, because of the continued reduction in device size, chips will become more sensitive to static though 2010, reaching sensitivity levels not observed since 1980. Also, the Industry Council on ESD has proposed that on-chip protection levels be lowered by half to save space on devices and increase speed. As sensitivity climbs, and on-chip protection falls, robust ESD protective packaging will be even more critical for anti static purposes.
3M Workstation and Instrumentation Products Can Do More
3M™ Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Workstation Solutions provide a safe anti static environment for the handling and assembly of sensitive components. These products drain static charge from personnel, limit the buildup of static charges on non-conductive materials on the benchtop, and monitor the system to ensure that it is operating properly.
- Measures ESD events AND static fields.
- Measures HBM, CDM, MM AND separates CDM events from other ESD events.
- Records the data received AND provides date/time ESD event happened.
- Measures operator resistance AND voltage.
- Measures impedance AND EMI voltage on metal grounds.
- Identifies AND monitors EOS (electrical overstress).
Air Ionizer Control and Monitors
- Controls AND monitors the ionization inside an automated tool or on a benchtop.
- Provides data on ion balance AND measures ionization decay.
- Sends information to facility monitoring system AND collects data for customer.
3M™ Static Control Vinyl Floor Tile
3M™ 8400 Series Static Control Floor Tile is a long-term anti static solution in controlling ESD. This solid vinyl tile is durable and attractive and can easily be installed by competent flooring contractors. The flexible, resilient tiles are made with only 100% pure vinyl and contain a minimum amount of filler and none of the regrind that can make tile brittle.
Both the "conductive" and "static-dissipative"
versions are available in a selection of bright, vivid colors. A proprietary manufacturing process completely seals in the
conductive carbon medium, resulting in a unique tile that can be easily cleaned and shined to a gloss while maintaining its electrical properties — without the use of an ESD wax or polish.
• Lifetime warranty on electrical performance
• 10-year limited warranty on materials
• Long-term ESD protection
• Superior wear resistance and durability
• Lowest outgassing
• Easy, low-cost maintenance (no waxing — ever!)
• Made with 100% pure homogeneous vinyl; no regrind
• Micro-edged for perfect squareness for ease of installation
• Available in either "conductive" or "static-dissipative"
• Available in 24.25" size for raised access floors,
plus 12", 24", and 36" sizes.
• Available in 12 standard colors; custom colors can be formulated
• May be seamwelded or self-coved